Our boat and future home, sailing vessel (S/V) Blue Buddha, is a 2019 Lagoon 42 Catamaran currently located on the island of Antigua. The boat is under charter management with Dream Yacht Charters and is available for bareboat charter until the end of 2023. Our plan is to visit Blue Buddha a couple of times per year and use the income from the charter to offset the purchase costs. In 2023 when the charter contract expires, we plan to move into the boat full time and start our circumnavigation.
The Lagoon 42 is a relatively new and very popular model that is on track to become the best selling catamaran in Lagoon History (As of December 2017, over 400 L42s have been sold since the model was announced in 2016). For reference, most models would be considered a success if they sell 400 units in the entire model lifespan!
Why is it so popular? The boat is known for having great accommodations and very decent sailing performance. At 42 feet, the boat is also the perfect size for many couples and relatively affordable compared to its larger cousin the Lagoon 450. See our blog post on why we selected this model and why we decided to put the boat into charter management.
- Length 12.80m / 42′
- Beam 7.70m / 25’3”
- Draft 1.25m / 4’1”
- Mast clearance 20.65m / 67’9”
- Light displacement (EEC)12.1 t / 26 681 Lbs
- Sail area 90 m² / 968 sq.ft
- Full-batten mainsail 55m² / 592 sq.ft
- Selftacking jib 35m² / 377 sq.ft
- Engine 2 x 55 HP
- Fuel capacity 300 l / 79 US gal
- Fresh water capacity 300 l / 79 US gal
Our boat includes a large generator, a water maker, and air conditioning in all cabins, which makes it quite comfortable while at anchor in the Caribbean. The boat has 4 double private cabins each with their own bathrooms. It sleeps 4 couples comfortably plus a small child in a single berth located on the starboard bow. The saloon table also converts into a bed where two more could sleep, for a total capacity of 12 plus one child.
If you are interested in chartering Blue Buddha, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we may be able to provide a discount below the current prices published by Dream Yacht Charter.
Our Future Plans for Blue Buddha
As mentioned, our plan is to keep the boat in charter management until the end of 2023. At that time the boat will undergo two refits. First, the contract with Dream Yacht includes an exit refit during which all issues that are not considered normal wear and tear are identified and fixed. Then we will likely move the boat to Florida to complete a much comprehensive refit during the winter of 2024 in order to get the boat ready for the circumnavigation.
This “blue water” refit will likely include the following:
- New standing rigging. We are seriously researching the possibility of using synthetic rigging instead of stainless steel.
- New running rigging.
- New performance sails. Our current wish list is to put North Sails 3Di
- New code zero pole, rig, and sail. We decided to get the boat without the code zero pole and sail because we would not be using it during the
charteryears. So we plan on adding the code zero during the refit.
- New radar and AIS.
- Add 2000Kw of solar and 1,000 amp hours of Lithium batteries. This will allow us to remove the generator and replace it with a much smaller one for emergency use only. We hope that the technology at the time will allow us to run the watermaker and the AC in our cabin and the saloon without a generator (this is already being done in boats with large battery banks).
- Conversion of the starboard forward cabin into a closet, storage
- Conversion of the starboard forward bathroom into a laundry room with washer and dryer.
As you can see, the goal is to make Blue Buddha as safe and comfortable as possible for the challenge of taking us around the world. We will be documenting the refit process and our thoughts on the L42 as we spend more time on it and get ready to untie the lines.